This setting is an essential part of the server-side mail routing configuration. An Exclaimer Cloud Administrator can to configure how Exclaimer Cloud routes email back to Microsoft 365 after processing.
You might need to change the setting in complex environments, such as multi-geo Microsoft 365 tenants.
The Mail Routing Domain setting requires an Exclaimer Admin account to view and edit the setting.
How to access it?
To access the Mail Routing option:
- From the left-hand pane, click Configuration, then select Manage Mail Flow.
- In the right-hand pane, under Mail Routing Domain, are all the relevant options.
Configuring Mail Routing
To configure mail routing options:
- In Domain Name, enter the domain where the email should be routed after being processed by Exclaimer Cloud.
We recommend: Use the .onmicrosoft.com domain which can be located in the Domains list in the Microsoft 365 Admin Center: Microsoft 365 Admin Center. This setting is important, and an incorrect domain can result in mail flow issues.
Email is routed back to a mail server identified from the specified domain's MX DNS record.
To ensure that the email is routed successfully after being processed by Exclaimer Cloud, it is necessary to specify a domain with an MX record that points towards a Microsoft Exchange Online server for your organization.
The MX record for the Domain name (in the Mail Routing Domain settings) should specify a single Exchange Online Server for your Microsoft 365 tenancy.
To check the MX record for your own Domain name, use a DNS lookup tool, such as MXToolbox.
Example showing Exclaimer's domain:
- Click SAVE to save your mail routing settings.
Sender Domain (is not recommended): This uses the domain part of the sender's email address to deliver the mail to a mail server identified from that domain's DNS record.
- This option should not be used for organizations where a third-party service is configured for receiving inbound mail.
- The MX record for the domain must point towards a Microsoft Exchange Online server for an email to be successfully routed back from Exclaimer Cloud after processing.