Relevant Product: Exclaimer Cloud - Signatures for Office 365
You have applied a signature for a user. When the user sends an email, the signature is not applied on the received message.
A common reason for this issue is that a group has been specified when creating the transport rule and connectors via the Exclaimer Cloud portal, and the user in question is not a member of the specified group.
This issue can also occur if there is a difference between the user's primary SMTP address and their mail field in Office 365. The Office 365 mail field should match their primary SMTP address. However, we occasionally see cases where the Office 365 mail field contains incorrect data (typically in hybrid environments or where AD sync is used).
There are three possible solutions for this issue:
- Synchronize data manually
- Check conditions of the Office 365 transport rule
- Check for incorrect data in the Office 365 mail field
Synchronize data manually
Perform a manual data synchronization to ensure that users and group memberships are synchronized from Office 365.
To do this:
Log into the Exclaimer Cloud portal, launch your subscription, then click the options list from the top-right of your screen and select Settings.
- Select the Data Synchronization tab. Under the Office 365/Azure Active Directory Synchronization section, click Start.
Check the conditions of the Office 365 transport rule
The sender must meet the conditions of the Office 365 transport rule which redirects the message to Exclaimer Cloud.
If the message is not redirected then it won't be processed by Exclaimer Cloud and so no signature will be applied.
To check the current conditions of the Office 365 transport rule, follow the steps below:
- Sign in to the Office 365 admin portal (https://portal.office.com) as an Administrator.
- On the Home page, click the icon at the top-left of the screen:
- Select Admin from the shortcuts panel or menu:
- Under Admin centers, select Exchange:
The Exchange admin center is displayed.
- From the left-hand navigation menu, select mail flow:
- The mail flow page is displayed with a row of options in the menu bar at the top. By default, rules is selected:
- Double-click the transport rule which involves sending messages to Exclaimer Cloud (typically this is called Identify messages to send to Exclaimer Cloud).
The settings for the rule are displayed.
- Check for the condition named The sender is a member of… - if this exists, make a note of the group that is specified as the condition's value.
- Ensure that any users for whom the signature is required, are actually members of this Office 365 group.
Check for incorrect data in the Office 365 mail field
To resolve this issue, please try the steps below:
Verify that the Office 365 mail field contains incorrect data
- Browse to http://graphexplorer.azurewebsites.net.
- Sign in and authorize access using your Office 365 administrator account.
- Update the following link with your own details (as indicated):
- Copy/paste the updated link into the GET field.
- Click GET.
- Once you have a response, scroll down and locate the mail field.
This should show incorrect data for the user.
- If the mail field does not show the user's primary SMTP address, follow the steps below to delete incorrect data and synchronize.
If the user's primary SMTP address is shown in the mail field, please raise a support ticket.
Delete incorrect data and synchronize
If you complete the verification process described above and find incorrect data in the Office 365 mail field, follow the steps below to resolve the issue and ensure the user is correctly recognized by Exclaimer Cloud:
- Access your Active Directory and delete the user's alias address displayed in the mail field.
- Run an AD sync with Azure. This should update the mail field to the user's primary SMTP address.
- Once the sync is complete you can add the user's alias again, if required.
- Run a synchronize task from the Exclaimer Cloud portal:
- On the main page, go to Settings.
- Under Office 365/Azure Active Directory Synchronization, click Start.
Once the synchronization task is complete, please retest.
If this process does not resolve the issue, please raise a support ticket.