Relevant Products: Exclaimer Cloud - Signatures for Office 365
Once you have created a signature, you can determine how it is deployed to your users using signature rules.
There are two options when defining signature rules:
- Server-side deployment - Signatures are applied once the message has been routed to Exclaimer Cloud. As the signature is applied once the message has been sent, you will not be able to see the signature whilst composing your email. Signatures will be applied to messages sent from any device.
- Client-side deployment - Signatures are synchronised to Outlook where they are visible whilst composing your email.
If users compose messages in their Outlook client and incorporate synchronised signatures, we need to ensure that duplicate signatures are not applied when these messages are subsequently routed to Exclaimer Cloud for processing.
In the vast majority of cases, Exclaimer Cloud takes care of this automatically, through its text matching checks. However, there is one scenario where a duplicate signature might be applied.
Keep in mind that Exclaimer Cloud processes signatures in the order that they appear on the Home page, and also that text matching checks are only performed for signatures where Outlook client deployment options are set. Now, suppose that:
- A user composes a message in their Outlook client, which includes a synchronised signature
- The message is routed to Exclaimer Cloud, and signature processing begins
- Before reaching the signature that was synchronised for this user, Exclaimer Cloud encounters another applicable signature, which is defined for Exclaimer Cloud deployment only
If processing reaches an applicable Exclaimer Cloud-only message before it gets a chance to find the synchronised Outlook client signature that is already in the message, it will apply it - therefore the message would include two signatures.
Suggested best practice to avoid this scenario
- If you wish to deploy signatures to Outlook clients and it is possible to do so, we recommend defining server-side AND client-side rules for all signatures. This ensures that text matching is always performed.
- If you need to have some signatures defined for Exclaimer Cloud deployment only, try to ensure that these are sequenced AFTER any signatures defined for Outlook client deployment. For further information about re-ordering signatures, click here.