Relevant Product: Mail Archiver
You are using the Exclaimer Mail Archiver and observe on the computer where the software is installed that the Exclaimer Mail Archiver Journal Access Service has stopped. Messages begin to queue in the Inbox of the Journal mailbox.
To allow the Administrator to identify a potential problem with the configuration of the software or why messages cannot be archived, the Mail Archiver console is pre-configured to stop the Journal Access Service if the following limits are met:
The Event Log stores information explaining which limit was reached. You can also change (or disable) these limits using the Exclaimer console.
Some customers experience this issue because the out-of-box configuration of Exclaimer Mail Archiver is to journal all emails to the specified Journal mailbox. They wish to test the software with a group of users and configure a policy for those users only. However, messages continue to be journalled for all users in the organization. This quickly exceeds the limit of messages where no policy applies and the Journal Access Service is stopped.
ResolutionTo identify why the Journal Access Service stopped:
1. Click Start, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer
2. From the tree on the left, expand Applications and Services Logs and click Exclaimer
3. The pane on the right shows a list of events relating to Exclaimer Mail Archiver. Look for Error events from the Exclaimer Mail Archiver Journal Access Service
4. The text shown on the General tab explains the reason the service has been stopped. In the example, this is because the number of messages where no policy applies has reached the threshold of 500 messages.
To re-configure the settings to control when the Journal Access Service is stopped:
1. Click Start, All Programs, Exclaimer, Exclaimer Mail Archiver
2. The Mail Archiver console appears
3. Using the tree on the left expand Exclaimer, Mail Archiver, Journal Mailbox Importers
4. Click the Mailbox Importer (By default the product is configured with one however you may have configured additional importers):
5. From the pane on the right, select the Folder Management tab
6.Observe there are a number of configuration options for when to stop the Journal Access service:
7. You can either disable the option by unchecking the tickbox or increasing the number shown